Data Center & Enterprise SDN Hardware and Software Market Tracker from IHS Markit:
- Global data center and enterprise LAN software-defined networking (SDN) market revenue—including SDN-in-use bare metal and branded Ethernet switches and SDN controllers—is anticipated to reach $15.8 billion by 2022.
- Bare metal switch revenue came to $790 million in 2017, representing 26 percent of total in-use SDN-capable Ethernet switch revenue.
- Data center SDN controller revenue totaled $1.2 billion in 2017, and is expected to hit $4 billion by 2022, when it will represent 17 percent of data center and enterprise LAN SDN revenue.
- Cisco is number-one with 21 percent of 2017 in-use SDN revenue, VMware comes in at number-two with 19 percent, Arista at number-three with 15 percent, White Box at number-four with 12 percent and Huawei at number-five with 7 percent.
- White Box is No. 1 in bare metal switch revenue, VMware leads the SDN controller market segment, Dell owns 44 percent of branded bare metal switch revenue in the second half of 2017, and HPE has the largest share of total SDN-capable (in-use and not-in-use) branded Ethernet switch ports.
- White box also ranked No. 1 in data center server revenue, pulling in 21 percent of the market in the first quarter, or $3.8 billion. Dell EMC dropped to second place in revenue at 20 percent ($3.6 billion), followed by Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) at 18 percent ($3.2 billion).
IHS Markit analysis:
The data center and enterprise LAN market is maturing. In-use SDN revenue totaled $4.4 billion worldwide in 2017, and is expected to hit $15.8 billion by 2022. Innovations continue, with bare metal switch vendors announcing 400GE switches with new programmable silicon that incorporates an on-chip ARM processor to support artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) and allows data plane protocols to be modified without changing silicon. Also of note, Edgecore Networks (Taiwan) contributed its 440GE switch design to the Open Compute Project (OCP).
SDN controllers for the data center also continue to add functionality, with increased support for interconnecting multiple on-premises data centers, and with support for interoperation between cloud service provider (CSP) data centers and enterprises as they build multi-clouds. Other notable enhancements include features that support container networking and integration with container management software such as Kubernetes.
Data center and enterprise LAN SDN is now mainstream and the market is expected to grow.
“Not all the $15.8 billion in revenue in 2022 is new. SDN-capable Ethernet switch revenue is existing revenue, and a portion of SDN controller revenue is displaced from the Ethernet switch market due to reduced port ASPs,” said Cliff Grossner, Ph.D., senior research director, IHS Markit. “Some network operators will elect to use bare metal Ethernet switches when deploying SDNs and rely on SDN controllers for advanced control plane features,” Cliff added.
About the report
The IHS Markit Data Center & Enterprise SDN Hardware & Software Market Tracker provides market size, market share, forecasts, analysis and trends for SDN controllers; SDN-capable bare metal Ethernet switches and branded Ethernet switches; and SD-WAN appliances and control and management. Vendors tracked include Arista, Aryaka, Cisco, Citrix, CloudGenix, Dell EMC, Fatpipe, HPE, Huawei, InfoVista, Juniper, NEC, Riverbed, Silver Peak, Talari, VMware, White Box, ZTE and others.