Signals & Systems Telecom (SNS Telecom; http://www.snstelecom.com/) has just released a report on the Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communications market. The report presents an in-depth assessment of the global wireless M2M market. In addition to covering the business case, the challenges, the industry’s roadmap, value chain analysis, deployment case studies, and the vertical market ecosystem, vendor service/product strategies and strategic recommendations, the report also presents comprehensive forecasts for the wireless M2M market from 2013 till 2018, including an individual assessment of the following submarkets: Network Connectivity, Application Services, Embedded Cellular M2M Modules, Network Security, Connected Device Platforms (CDP), Application Platforms (Application Enablement Platforms, AEP and Application Development Platforms, ADP), Integration Services and Enabling Technologies, across six regions.
Also provided are network connectivity and application service revenue forecasts for the following 6 vertical market segments: Utilities & Smart Grid, Automotive & Transportation, Logistics, Public Safety, Security & Surveillance, Retail & Vending and Healthcare. Historical figures are also provided for 2011 and 2012.
Despite its low ARPU, the wireless M2M market has become a key focus of many mobile network operators as their traditional voice and data markets become saturated. Likewise, government and regulatory initiatives such as the EU initiatives to have a smart meter penetration level of 80% by 2020 and the mandatory inclusion of automotive safety systems such as eCall in all new car models, have also helped to drive overall wireless M2M connections and revenue.
Consequently we expect the wireless M2M market to account for nearly $136 billion in revenues by the end of 2018, following a CAGR of 23% during the five year period between 2013 and 2018. Eyeing this lucrative opportunity, vendors and service providers across the highly fragmented M2M value chain have become increasing innovative in their strategies and technology offerings which have given rise to a number of submarkets such as M2M Network Security, Connected Device Platforms (CDP) and M2M Application Platforms.
* The wireless M2M market will account for nearly $136 billion in annual revenues by the end of 2018, following a CAGR of 23% during the five year period between 2013 and 2018
* At present, the M2M value chain is highly fragmented with module OEMs, hardware solution providers, application platform providers, device platform providers, and mobile network operators and aggregators/MVNOs all investing across multiple segments of the value chain, whilst still maintaining a key focus on a specific portion
* Signals and Systems Telecom expects the value chain to consolidate in the future, with a smaller number of larger and profitable competitors across the M2M value chain
* The growing presence of wireless M2M solutions within the sensitive critical infrastructure industry is having a profound impact on M2M network security services, a market estimated to reach nearly $1 billion in annual spending by the end of 2018
* Driven by demands for device management, cloud based data analytics and diagnostic tools, M2M software platforms (including CDP, AEP and ADP) are expected to account for $6 billion in annual spending by the end of 2018
Key Questions Answered:
* What are the key market drivers and challenges in the wireless M2M ecosystem?
* What are the key applications of M2M across industry verticals?
* How is the M2M value chain structured, how will it evolve overtime, and what will be its impact on key vertical segments of the market?
* What opportunities does M2M technology offer to mobile network operators and other players involved in the value chain?
* What strategies should mobile network operators/MVNOs, module vendors, hardware solution providers, software platform providers and other players adopt to capitalize on the M2M opportunity?
* How big is the M2M opportunity, and how much revenue will the industry generate in 2018?
* What will be the installed base of wireless M2M connections in 2018?
* Which geographical regions and industry verticals offer the greatest growth potential for M2M services?
* What is the vendor market share embedded cellular M2M modules, how many units will ship in 2018 and how will declining ASPs impact the sales revenue?
* How will embedded cellular M2M module shipments vary by air interface technology overtime, and will LTE take a lead in 2018?
* What is the network connectivity and application service ARPU for M2M services, and how will this vary overtime for each industry vertical?
* How big is the market for M2M network security and software platforms?
For more information, including report pricing, please contact Andy Silva: [email protected]
Other SNS Telecom reports are listed at: http://www.snstelecom.com/reports-library
Another recently released M2M report was by Research & Markets:
M2M: The Next Billion Mobile Connections – Essential Analysis of the Growing Wireless M2M Industry
In that report, Parks Associates analysts examine the growing wireless M2M industry and highlight opportunities in this space for mobile service providers in the U.S. and globally. The report includes a comprehensive overview of the complex M2M ecosystem, profiles of leading M2M vendors, and analysis of carriers’ M2M strategies. The report also illuminates important trends in key verticals and provides a forecast of carrier-enabled device connections through 2016.
“Mobile service providers are facing declining revenue from traditional voice and SMS services and mobile data traffic growth that outpaces growth in data revenues,” said Jennifer Kent, research analyst, Parks Associates. “In search of new opportunities, mobile service providers are expanding their presence in the Machine-to-Machine (M2M) space. Widespread consumer and enterprise adoption of broadband Internet service, wireless routers, and devices with mobile connectivity means the ingredients are there for the M2M market to take off. Plus, mobile network operators have unique assets that position them to take advantage of the growing M2M market.”