The IEEE 802.16 Working Group’s Session #81 took place on 17-20 September 2012 in Indian Wells, CA, USA in conjunction with the IEEE 802 Wireless Interim meeting.
IEEE Std 802.16-2012, the new revision of the base IEEE 802.16 standard, was pubished on 2012-08-17. IEEE Std 802.16.1-2012, which specifies the IMT-Advanced air interface known as “WirelessMAN-Advanced,” was published on 2012-09-07. Per the current IEEE-SA offer on IEEE 802 standards, both are available for $5 (what a deal!).
IEEE Std 802.16p-2012 and IEEE Std 802.16.1b-2012 was approved by the IEEE-SA Standards Board on 2012-08-30. These amendments add machine-to-machine specifications to the two newly-published base standards. Publication of the amendments is expected in October 2012.
The IEEE-SA Standards Board authorized initiation of two new 802.16 projects:
- IEEE Project PAR P802.16q, on a Multi-Tier amendment to IEEE Std 802.16, was initiated and temporarily assigned to the HetNet Study Group.
- IEEE Project PAR P802.16.3, to develop a new standalone standard on Mobile Broadband Network Performance Measurements, was initiated and temporarily assigned to the Metrology Study Group.
HetNet Study Group:
The IEEE 802.16 WG Study Group (SG) on the WirelessMAN Radio Interface in Heterogeneous Networks (HetNet Study Group) met for the third time. It addressed three separate topics:
- The SG completed a new Project Authorization Request (PAR) for a project on Small-Cell Backhaul (SCB) Enhancements to WirelessMAN-OFDMA. The WG agreed to submit the draft (PAR P802.16r) to the IEEE 802.16 Executive Committee for action in conjunction with Session #82. A followup Call for Contributions was issued. The WG issued a liaison statement to several external organizations (Metro Ethernet Forum, NGMN Alliance, Small Cell Forum, and WiMAX Forum) requesting views and input regarding technical requirements.
- Work on developing IEEE Project PAR P802.16q began with the consideration of various inputs toward a system requirements document. A followup Call for Contributions was issued toward Session #82.
- The Study Group prepared a presentation on the “OmniRAN” Open Mobile Network Interface concept in relation to cellular offload. The presentation was given to the IEEE 802.11 “Wireless Next Generation” meeting on the evening of 18 September, in a meeting focused on cellular offload.
Metrology Study Group:
Following 30 August approval of the new Project P802.16.3, to develop a new standalone standard (independent of air interface technology) on Mobile Broadband Network Performance Measurements, the Applications and Requirements draft was updated and a Call for Contributions was issued. The WG responded to a statement from the Broadband Forum with a reply soliciting views on applications and requirements. The WG also requested comments from the IETF. The WG developed a statement to be delivered to the FCC regarding the FCC’s new program on the measurement of mobile broadband service performance. Per IEEE 802 procedures, the draft statement is under review by the IEEE 802 Executive Committee prior to distribution. The Metrology Study Group issued a closing report and minutes.
GRIDMAN Task Group:
The Working Group’s GRIDMAN Task Group resolved comments received during the IEEE-SA Sponsor Ballot of drafts P802.16n and IEEE P802.16.1a. In each case, Sponsor Ballot recirculation will be conducted, closing prior to Session #82. The TG issued a closing report and minutes.
ITU-R Liaison Group:
The ITU-R Liaison Group drafted two contributions to ITU-R Working Party 5D (WP 5D), one related to sharing studies and another related to Rec. IMT-R M.2039. Once approved within the IEEE-SA process, both documents may be submitted to ITU-R Working Party 5D Meeting #14 in October. The group issued a closing report
Project Planning Committee:
The WG’s Project Planning Committee met for two periods during Session #81. It confirmed the IEEE 802.16 Ballot Schedules. The committee reviewed input contributions on direct mobile communication for proximity-based applications. The Committee issued a closing report.
Future IEEE 802.16 Sessions:
- Session #82 will take place on 12-15 Nov 2012 in San Antonio, TX, USA in conjunction with the IEEE 802 Plenary Session.
- Session #83 will take place on 14-17 Jan 2013 in Vancouver, BC, Canada in conjunction with the IEEE 802 Wireless Interim.
- Session #84 will take place on 18-21 Mar 2013 in Orlando, FL, USA in conjunction with the IEEE 802 Plenary Session.
About IEEE 802.16:
The IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access Standards has developed and is enhancing the WirelessMAN® Standards for wireless metropolitan area networks. IEEE 802.16 is a unit of the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee, the premier transnational forum for wired and wireless networking standardization. A list of IEEE 802.16 standards and drafts is available on-line, as is an archive of previous Session Reports. The IEEE 802.16 Interactive Calendar includes sessions and deadlines.