North America OTN switching revenue up 80% Y-O-Y in 1st half of 2013
Infonetics Research just released its latest OTN and Packet Optical Hardware report, which tracks optical transport network (OTN) switching and transport equipment and packet-optical transport systems (P-OTS).
OTN AND P-OTS MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- In the 1st half of 2013 (1H13), worldwide OTN revenue (OTN transport and switching equipment) was up 23% from 1H12, to $3.9 billion
- OTN switching spending in North America more than tripled in 1H13, growing 80% from a year ago
- Fujitsu’s OTN hardware revenue market share spiked 152% in 1H13 from 1H12
- Globally, P-OTS equipment revenue is up 41% year-over-year in 1H13
- Incumbents Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Fujitsu, and Tellabs are the P-OTS market leaders, but new players BTI, Cyan, Ericsson, and Transmode are challenging with pure-play P-OTS platforms
“OTN switching is experiencing breakout growth in North America and EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), where service providers are adopting integrated WDM and OTN switching and rolling out 100G coherent in the core,” notes Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for optical at Infonetics Research. Schmitt adds: “Meanwhile, P-OTS growth in the first half of 2013 was healthy as a result of tier-1 carriers ramping spending versus 2012. We’re seeing some of the SONET/SDH spending that went away come back in the form of increased packet-optical activity.”
Infonetics’ biannual OTN and packet optical report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2017 and analysis for OTN transport and switching equipment and P-OTS metro edge and metro regional hardware, including port revenue forecasts by type and speed. Vendors tracked: Adtran, Adva, Alcatel Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Coriant, Cyan, ECI, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, NSN, Tellabs, Transmode, ZTE, and others.
To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research Brief: Optical
Week of October 14–18
Data highlighted in this research brief:
- Coherent 100G WDM shipments tripling this year
- Operators name Ciena, ALU, Cisco and Huawei tops in P-OTS
- 100G network port revenue to surpass $6 billion by 2017
- North America OTN switching revenue more than triples in 1st half of 2013
Research & Markets: Optical Transport Network (OTN) Equipment – Global Strategic Business Report
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Optical Transport Network (OTN) Equipment in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: OTN Transport Equipment, and OTN Switching Equipment. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Canada, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East, and Latin America. Annual estimates and forecasts are provided for the period 2009 through 2018.
The report profiles 47 companies including many key and niche players such as ADTRAN Inc., ADVA Optical Networking SE, Alcatel-Lucent, Aliathon Technology Ltd., Ciena Corporation, Cisco Systems, Inc., ECI Telecom Ltd., Ericsson, Fujitsu Limited, Huawei Technologies, Infinera Corporation, JDS Uniphase Corporation, NEC Corporation, Tellabs, Inc., and ZTE Corporation.